If you find science totally en-GROSS-ing, then enter our Animal Grossology Essay Contest!
You could win a featured spot on the Discovery Place blog, a Family Membership to Discovery Place ($100 value) and a chance to meet ‘n’ greet some of our “gross” animal residents!
Here are the contest details:
Essay Topic: Leeches are sometimes used after surgeries to assist in the healing process and scientists are studying the slime produced by slugs and snails for clues in treating cystic fibrosis. The seemingly “gross” characteristics of animals can be fascinating and even beneficial to humans. Write about a “gross” animal or animal behavior. How have you benefited or learned from this animal?
Eligibility: Rising Grades K-2, 3-5, 6-8
Deadline: All entries must be received by July 26, 2013.
One winner will be chosen from each grade range. Winning essays will be featured on the Discovery Place blog. Each winner also will receive a Family Membership to Discovery Place ($100 value) and a chance to meet ‘n’ greet some of our “gross” animal residents.
• Contest is free and open to the public.
• Entrant must be in grades K-8.
• Essay must be no fewer than 100 words and no more than 500 words in length.
• One entry per student.
• Essay must be submitted via email no later than 5:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, July 26, 2013.
• Essay must be solely the work of the entrant. Plagiarism will result in disqualification.
• Discovery Place has the right to provide contest deadline extensions when deemed appropriate.
• Decisions of the judges are final.
• All entries become the property of Discovery Place.
• Winners will be notified via email by August 2, 2013.
• Contest winners agree to allow Discovery Place to post their first name with last initial on its websites and social media.
• Winning essays will be posted in their entirety on discoveryplace.org with full credit given to the author.
Email your essay to [email protected], along with:
• your full name and address
• your email address
• the name and address of your school (or homeschool)
• your current grade level
Entrants will receive an email confirming our receipt. If you have not received an email notification within 48 hours, please email [email protected]
July 26, 2013
Winners will be notified via email by August 2, 2013.
July 26, 2013