Billboard Art Competition Art Moves 2013
Check up for this year’s topic! “The community or the individual? Support or control?”
There is no entry fee. The Competition is open and all artists interested in billboard art are invited to take part. The works should be submitted by the 22 July 2013, 00:00 CET via electronic mail to the address: artmoves(at)tlen.pl
Art Moves idea in 4 points:
1. Our festival uses billboards in an innovative way. We change their function and use them NOT to present advertisements, but moving and thought-provoking art. We take our species name – Homo sapiens / Thinking man – very seriously. Therefore, we put great emphasis on deepened thinking, reflection and awareness rising. Thinking is very closely related to us, people. When we change our thinking, deepen our awareness and initiate our reflection, we also change the reality we live in.
2. Our festival encourages both artists and audience to take a good look at themselves and the surrounding reality, for currently, together with rapid economic, social and technological changes, the old system is fading away and the new one has not been clarified yet. So, it is worth considering: what is our point, what is important for us, what do we want our relationships look like? What shape should communities have to allow us to develop and live our own and truly satisfying life?
3. People invented art thousands of years ago. It appeared together with a wonderful feature of the human brain – abstract thinking. Our ancestors were painting on the cave walls to understand themselves and the reality they were living in. We do the same, using contemporary “walls” that are characteristic for our urban landscape. We use both standard billboards, enormous mega-billboards, mobile billboards and electronic street screens.
4. We are changing ourselves individually, but being members of communities we influence their shape. Minor communities influence the bigger ones and this way the whole world… is changing.
We invite you to join us and co-create our festival.
– you can take part in a competition as well as join in the reflection and creation of works of art
– you can become our sponsor
– you can donate any amount of money that will allow us to develop our ideas.
The account number: CREDIT AGRICOLE 88 1940 1076 3017 1264 0000 0000
– you can inform your colleagues, family and friends about our activities and ideas, share it on Facebook, etc.
– you can watch us
– you can become our media patron or partner
– you can think positively about us
– if you have any other ideas, write to us!
Galeria Rusz/Rusz Foundation is the initiator and organizer of Art Moves Festival.
10 most interesting works will be displayed on billboards in the city space during the Art Moves Festival in September / October 2013 in Torun, Poland. The author of the most interesting work will receive the Main Award in the amount of PLN 7.000 (about EUR 1.660, USD 2.150).
Artists are invited to prepare an artwork in response to this year’s competition theme “The community or the individual? Support or control?”
The competition slogan can be treated as a metaphor of all the processes taking place in the world at the moment. For thousands of years people have been living in communities. The community was helping individuals survive and the fate of the individual was largely dependent on the community. At the same time, while co-creating the community, the individual had an influence on the fate of the community. Thanks to the common effort of the members of the tribe, it was possible to hunt animals or repulse enemies – the individual would not have been able to survive in that world on his/her own.
Nevertheless currently, along with social, technological and economic changes as well as in the face of contemporary individualism, this interdependence between the individual and the community is not so obvious. Which is more important today: the individual or the community? Are we able to live entirely independently, beyond any communities? Are communities, both the big ones (national or ethnic) and the small ones (neighbouring, peer or family), in the state of crisis?
Can we function as unconnected individuals, without any lasting ties or common identity? And what if this is impossible? How to build the community that would give particular individuals the possibility for development? Should the community support or rather control individuals? On the other hand, has one person the right to control the entire community? How to find the balance? On what principles should the global human community be based so that we could all function in it? Which is more important: The community or the individual? Support or control?
For more information see the Competition Rules.